Provided by the city of Athens

UPDATE: Bank robber suspect turns himself in

The man suspected of robbing the People's Bank on July 8 turned himself in to the Athens Police Department Saturday morning.

Athens Police Officer Robert Filar confirmed that Emmanuel Arocho, 31, of Albany, Ohio, had a friend bring him in to the Athens Police at about 2 a.m. Saturday. 

Filar said Arocho is the man from the bank's surveillance camera and that the police believe he acted alone in the robbery. Filar said he is unclear as to what specific charges Arocho faces.

"He could face felony of the third or second degree, but we're not sure yet," he said. "It depends on what the indictment ends up being, but I'd rather not speculate. The case is still under investigation." 

Arocho is scheduled to make his first appearance in the Athens Municipal Court on Monday, July 15 at 9:30 a.m. for a video arraignment.

Following an activated alarm at the People’s Bank on East State Street on Monday, Athens Police and the FBI are searching for a person of interest identified as Emmanuel Arocho.

In a photo provided by APD from the bank’s surveillance camera, the suspect appears to be a white man with short brown hair and a beard. He was wearing a bright blue shirt at the time.

Anyone with information should contact the Athens Police Department at 593-6606 or 592-3313.

This is a devloping story. Stick with The Post and @ThePostLocal for more updates.