Charging stations with plugs for various types of phones are located in the Bobcat Student Lounge on the first floor of Baker University Center, among other locations. (Emily Harger | Staff Photographer)

High-speed phone chargers made available in Baker Center

Four new “Kwikboost” charging stations were installed in Baker University Center in the winter, and there are plans to install a fifth in the near future.

The stations, which cost $250 each, support many types of phones and devices. The four stations are located in The Front Room, the second floor conference hallway, the Bobcat Student Lounge on Baker Center’s first floor and Ohio University Student Senate’s office on the third floor.  

Executive Director of Baker University Center and Event Services Dustin Kilgour and his staff first saw the stations in use at the University of Michigan-Dearborn and decided to install them in Baker Center soon after. The initiative to install them mainly came from Kilgour, who occasionally personally monitors the chargers.

“We started seeing students using Baker as a lounge and study space more and more and thought (the charging stations) would be convenient for them,” Kilgour said.

Kilgour added that he also thinks the stations are convenient for commuter students who otherwise would not be able to charge their phones until they went home.

The fifth station will be installed once the Baker Center staff decides on the most effective location for it.

Kilgour said that it takes the chargers only about 30 minutes to give a phone a full charge, significantly faster than a normal charger.

“I think they are pretty convenient. They charge way faster than my regular charger so even if I am only there for 15 minutes, I am still getting enough juice to get through the rest of the day,” said Alex Kraus, a senior studying accounting.

Kilgour was impressed by Kwikboost, the leader in its industry, and decided that it would be a smart investment for Baker Center. The total cost for the stations plus installation was $1,500.

“I think the stations are a good idea; I am just curious to see how they handle installing new technology because it comes out so fast,” said Nate Kahn, a sophomore studying business.

Each station has a ledge below it so that students can set their devices down and go back to their work while it charges. Kilgour explained that he was initially worried about thefts but has yet to receive a single complaint.

“The stations are next to high-traffic areas so people can watch their phones while they work,” he said.

jr200009@ohiou.edu