Athens rap group Dysfunktional Family has been playing in the town for nearly 10 years. The group will take the stage at Jackie O's Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St., at midnight Saturday. (File)

Local music festival brings community together for charity, rock 'n' roll

Chicago has Lollapalooza, Austin has Austin City Limits and Athens has the Athens Community Music Festival.

While the former bring in large national talent, the latter, the 15th edition of the Athens Community Music Festival, features local bands in six venues throughout town and throughout the night.

Shows can be seen at Donkey Coffee, The Union Bar & Grille, both Jackie O’s Public House and Brewery, Casa Nueva, and the Smiling Skull Saloon.

Daniel Spencer, bassist and vocalist for band Fathers of the Revolution, who will be playing the Union at 1 a.m. Saturday, said the festival is an opportunity to see “cool hidden gems” of bands who don’t play out as frequently during the school year.

“It’s like a whole town becomes a venue,” Spencer said. “It’s a mini-little festival.”

This year, according to the festival’s Facebook page, all of the proceeds from tickets sold will be donated to Arts/WEST, The Gathering Place and The Bryan Winland Memorial Arts & Music Scholarship. 

Tickets to see all the acts at just one venue cost $5 and all-venue tickets cost $8 to get in anywhere for all the action. Tickets can be bought at any of the venues.

The emphasis on charity has been ingrained in the festival since its humble beginnings at the top of Washington Parking Garage, said Zachary Fuller, guitarist and vocalist for Weird Science. 

Fuller, an Athens native, said that 15 years ago the festival was spearheaded by a group of kids who wanted to able to perform on top of the parking garage.

“It just seemed to make more sense to include more bands and kind of have it dispersed all over town since we were trying to have to do it as a community festival anyways,” Fuller said. “It’s really cool it’s lasted this long.”

Other veteran Athens bands will be out to take part of the festival, including Burning River Ramblers, Adam Remnant (lead singer of Southeast Engine), Joey Hebdo and his drum, Corbin Marsh Band and Controlled Folly.

Michael Carabaugh, bass player for Controlled Folly, said the strong music scene in Athens makes for a welcoming environment for musicians and audience members alike, which comes together in the festival.

“Athens is a good scene, especially for starting musicians,” Carabaugh said. “The general support makes for a good promotional scene.”

Spencer put it another way.

“An opportunity for a bunch of local guys coming out and playing. That is magic.”

If You Go

What: Athens Community Music Festival

When: Saturday, August 10

Admission: $5 for one venue and $8 for an all-venue pass.

Donkey Coffee & Espresso, 

17 1/2 W. Washington St.

6:30 p.m. Bingxin Huang

6:55 p.m. Winter Wilson

7:20 p.m.  Austin McGrath

7:45 p.m.  Cory Love

8:10 p.m.  Aubree Riley 

8:35 p.m. The Geek Girls 

The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St.

7 p.m. The Dead Hand of Man

8 p.m. Adam Remnant

9 p.m. Rattletrap String Band

10 p.m. Hex Net

11 p.m. County Pharaohs

12 a.m. Unmonumental

1 a.m. Fathers of the Revolution

Jackie O’s Public House, 24 W. Union St.

7 p.m. Leah Nairn

8 p.m. Joey Hebdo and his drum

9 p.m. Paranormals

10 p.m. Shamantis

11 p.m. Lennon Orchestra

12 a.m. Burning River Ramblers

1 a.m. The Porters

Jackie O’s Brewery, 24 W. Union St.

8 p.m. Bad Castle

9 p.m. JJ Reed

10 p.m. Appalachin Hillside Revolution

11 p.m. Controlled Folly

12 a.m. Dysfunktional Family

1 a.m. Black Spyral Dancer

Casa Nueva, 

6 W. State St.

9 p.m. Dad Arm

10 p.m. Corbin Marsh Band

11 p.m. Wrongazi

12 a.m. Princess

1 a.m. Weird Science

Smiling Skull & Saloon, 108 W. Union St.

10 p.m. Slut Castle

11 p.m. Night Stalker

12 a.m. Torgo

1 a.m. Method Air

ds834910@ohiou.edu