Meet Ohio University's newest top administrators

As buildings were assembled throughout campus this summer, so were top administrator teams.

Ohio University created a new position while implementing its Re sponsibility Centered Management budget model and filled several po sitions that were vacant for months.

Joseph Lalley, formerly senior director for facilities operations at Cornell University, started his new job as OU’s first senior asso ciate vice president for informa tion technologies and adminis trative services Aug. 1.

Lalley is overseeing the imple mentation of OU’s Strategic Align ment Initiative, part of OU’s switch to its new budget model next year.

Lalley will look for ways to ap prove efficiency in several of OU’s departments including human re sources, finance, information tech nology and facilities management, said John Day, associate provost for academic budget and planning.

“It’s sort of a broad, macro project associated with ensuring adminis trative services are meeting the needs of the campus and that we are mak ing meaningful improvement in or der to meet those needs,” said Chad Mitchell, OU’s budget director.

OU has said Lalley’s new sal ary — $225,000 — will be paid for through savings from the ini tiative. Lalley did not return a re quest for comment.

William Willan, OU’s executive dean for regional higher educa tion, started July 1 and will make $177,000. Willan was formerly the dean of OU’s Southern campus and is someone with “passion for Ohio University,” said OU Ex ecutive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit, in a news release.

Starting shortly after Willan was Laura Myers, replacing Ann Fidler as the chief of staff for Benoit and Vice President of Finance and Ad ministration, Stephen Golding. Myers makes $128,000 and had been OU’s director of the Office of Institutional Equity since 2008.

By July 10, Deborah Moon Shaf fer had started as the senior as sociate vice president for finance and administration, overseeing finance and human resources. Shaffer will make $226,500.

On July 15, several new posi tions were filled as Howard Dewald began as the new associate provost for faculty and academic planning, making $150,800, Dianne Bouvier filled Myers’ position as director of institutional equity, making $57,645, and Barbara Wharton came to OU to start as the new as sociate provost for institutional re search, making $142,500.

Before this school year, Dewald was an associate dean in the Col lege of Arts and Sciences, Bouvier was OU’s ombudsman and Whar ton was the assistant vice presi dent for institutional planning at Otterbein University.

dd195710@ohiou.edu