Need a designated driver? There's an app for that

Whether a long night at Alden Library or an evening party has students out late, there are sev eral services throughout cam pus aimed to help students get home safely.

Athens GO TO Cab, a taxi ser vice, and SAFE-T Patrol, a walk ing escort program run by the Ohio University Police Depart ment, are two options for stu dents seeking a way home. This fall, a new mobile application developed by college students will also be available.

Sobrio connects students with safe rides home. Founded by University of Connecticut students Nadav Ullman and Tom Bachant, the app has had success at other universities, said Priyanka Ghosh, Sobrio’s OU campus ambassador.

“The motivation behind coming to OU was simple,” Ghosh said. “OU has a large stu dent population in Athens and a majority of the student popula tion indulges in drinking on the weekends.”

Typical rides will cost be tween $2 and $3, and drivers will be OU students.

“Sobrio’s main aim has al ways been to offer complete se curity and freedom to students in their traveling plans,” Ghosh said.

OUPD and Athens GO TO Cab officials said their services have a similar goal.

“Our main focus is to make sure that people get safely from one destination to anoth er,” said Joni McCune, OUPD business manager. “Anybody who doesn’t feel comfortable walking by themselves alone can contact OUPD … to meet with them and walk them to their destination.”

OUPD’s SAFE-T Patrol is available seven days a week and can be distinguished by its logo shirts or jackets. SAFE-T Patrol team members are hired and trained by OUPD.

Athens GO TO Cab aims to provide safety to students in emergency situations, said GO TO owner Gary Kerber. It also of fers a shuttle service to the Port Columbus International airport for $142 plus tax one way.

“A lot of people appreciate that we are out there,” Kerber said. “If things fall through, they have another option.”

oh271711@ohiou.edu