Ohio University President Roderick McDavis and First Lady Deborah McDavis assist Cleveland native DeJane Manuel, an incoming freshman studying fine arts, move into Lincoln Hall. Logan Riely | For The Post

President gives freshmen words of advice

“You have come to Ohio University for a reason, not for a season.”

OU President Roderick McDavis, along with other administrators, kicked off the 2013-14 school year by welcoming thousands of screaming freshmen at the Student Convocation on Sunday afternoon.

“This is a community that will embrace you. This is a community that will help you,” McDavis said. “Make us a better university while you’re here.”

The president’s speech was preceded by speeches from Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones, Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi, Faculty Senate Chair Elizabeth Sayrs, Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit, and Bobcat Experience video contest winner Katie Thoburn.

Benoit started her speech by taking a picture of the thousands of freshmen sitting in front of her.

“You’re here not to be a profile, a frozen image,” Benoit said. “You’re here to be alive, living, growing and real. You’re here to be an extraordinary person. Take good pictures.”

Gunnar Goodman, a freshman studying psychology and criminology, said he was excited to hear McDavis’ speech.

“It was kind of breathtaking actually,” Goodman said.

dd195710@ohiou.edu