Star walkers explore on despite Ridges demolition

A change in landscape for the Ridges won’t deter astronomical enthusiasts from attending regular star walks.

Ohio University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy and the Southeast Ohio Astronomical Society cohost the outings, the next of which will take place Saturday. The walks allow participants to see and learn about the constellations and astronomical happenings that are happening during the season.

The walks began in 1999, and today average 20 to 30 attendees. Often, organizers cap the group there. This weekend the walk will go up to the top of Radar Hill, where participants can witness numerous constellations along with Saturn and Venus.

“Southeast Ohio is a great place to stargaze,” said Maryann Hartwick, president of the Southeast Ohio Astronomical Society. “Most folks can see the Milky Way from their own backyard.”

Hartwick grew up in New York and never saw a star as a child, she said.

“It wasn't until I moved away from all that light pollution that I started to see stars, learn about the constellations and planets, and meet other people with the same interest which gave birth to the Southeast Ohio Astronomical Society,” she added.

The buildings at the Ridges are a secondary attraction to these walks, along with the lights of Athens. The tuberculosis ward was demolished at the end of last school year.

“None of us wanted the building to be demolished,” said George Eberts, a professor in the astronomy department.

The walk will begin at 8:30 p.m. Potential attendees should check the Southeast Ohio Astronomical Society’s website and Facebook page a few hours before the event – it will not take place if it is cloudy.

eb104010@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: Star Walks

When: 8:30 p.m., Saturday

Where: The Kennedy Museum of Art, Lin Hall

Admission: Free