Roy Norton

Canadian Consul General to visit OU

The Canadian Consul General based in Detroit will visit Ohio University early next month to discuss the rich and growing trade relationship between the U.S. and Canada. 

Roy Norton, Canada's top diplomat in Detroit who represents America's northern neighbor in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio, will speak on Thurs., Oct. 3 at 3:30 p.m. in Baker University Center's Multicultural Center, Room 218, according to an OU news release. 

Norton's talk is entitled "The World's Largest Trading Relationship: How the United States and Canada Built It — and Where It's Headed" and is being put on by the College of Business and the College of Arts and Sciences, according to the release. 

"No two countires enjoy a more extensive or deeper relationship than Canada and the USA," Norton said, in the release. 

According to the 2012 census, U.S. merchandise trade with Canada totaled $324.2 billion in imports and $274.2 billion in exports. 

"Ohio University facilitates a global conversation," said Lorna Jean Edmonds, vice provost for global affairs, in the release. "Consul General Norton's visit is significant to the University and will be relevant to students, faculty, staff, and the community seeking to understand the far reaching historical and economic impact of this country's largest trading partner." 

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold