Cause of freshman's death remains undetermined

Michael Robinson, a freshman who studied pre-physical therapy and psychology, was found dead in Atkinson House on South Green around 5 a.m. on Saturday, according to OU Police Department Chief Andrew Powers.

The 18-year-old’s cause of death is still under investigation by OUPD and as of 6 p.m. on Monday, no police report on Robinson’s death had been filed.

Robinson, who attended Lake Catholic High School in Mentor, Ohio, lived in Foster House.

Robinson’s family was notified Saturday morning of his death, OU Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones said in a campus-wide email.

“It is always sad when we lose a member of the Bobcat Family,” Hall-Jones said in an email. “I am grateful for the wonderful work of our counselors and residential housing staff, and encourage students to reach out to us if they need help.”

She added that his death does not pose a threat to the university.

OUPD referred questions about Robinson to University Communications and Marketing, who could not be reached by press time.

The OUPD responded to a 911 call from Atkinson House at 5:20 a.m., according to the police log.

OU’s Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi declined to comment on the specifics of Robinson’s death and deferred questions to Powers.

Powers also declined to comment, deferring questions to Athens County Coroner Harold C. Thompson.

“I have not ruled on the cause of death. Completion of the autopsy takes about eight weeks. It must include tissue sample and toxicology testing,” said Thompson in an email.

He added that Robinson was found on the fourth floor stairway.

OU President Roderick McDavis expressed condolences Saturday.

“On behalf of our university community, I want to express our deepest condolences to Michael’s family and friends,” McDavis said in an email on Saturday. “We too are devastated by his death and will work to support his family and friends in any way that we can.”

Brickman Bros. Funeral Home in Willoughby, Ohio, is handling Robinson’s funeral arrangements and his family will receive friends at the funeral home Wednesday from 2-5 and 6-8 p.m., according to the funeral home’s website.

His funeral will be held at St. John Vainney Church, 7575 Bellflower Rd., at 10 a.m. on Thursday in Mentor.

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold