Ohio University women’s cross country runners participate in the Ohio Invitational cross country meet at Ohio University Golf Course. The meet took place on Sept. 14. (Calvin Mattheis | For The Post)

Cross Country: Bobcats dominate at Ohio Invitational

For the fourth consecutive year, the Ohio men’s and women’s cross country teams dominated their lone home event of the season as each won their respective races in the Ohio Invitational.

Saturday marked the second consecutive week the men won their meet, after taking the top spot at the Miami Invitational to begin the season.

“All in all it was a good day for both the women and the men and we are very happy with the results,” said coach Clay Calkins.

On the women’s side, the Bobcats captured all but three of the top 12 places, with sophomore Caroline Hildebrand (18:27.95), senior Ashley Waddington (18:35.86) and sophomore Tessa Weigand (19:10.46)  finishing first through third, respectively. 

Hildebrand, who celebrated her first-place finish on her 19th birthday, said running at home was a great support to the team.

“Everyone said I needed to do it for a great birthday present. I wanted to win so bad,” she said.

The men’s race was dominated by Ohio, as 10 of the first 11 runners to cross the finish line were Bobcats, with 10th place being the lone spot not secured by Ohio.

“We were the only Division I team in attendance on the men’s side, but it was a good opportunity for us,” said Calkins. “For the top guys, we basically turned in an active workout.”

Sophomore Jake Gentile was the individual winner, clocking a 15:43.69 run, before freshman Michael McKean followed in second place (15:57.88) and sophomore Jacob Stephens in third (15:58.87).

“It felt great to have the home crowd behind you and have your teammates cheer you on,” said Jake Gentile. “There’s nothing better than that.”

As overall teams, the men finished ahead of Cedarville, Ohio Dominican, Urbana and Capital.

The Ohio cross country teams held out their normal starting rotations in order to rest for the Wake Forest Invitational this Friday.

Calkins is confident that as the season rolls on that both of his squads will continue building on their success.

“I think we’ve got a great core group on both the men and the women sides,” Calkins said. “This is the best depth we’ve had on the men’s side in six years.”

“On the women’s side we’re not quite as deep, but I think our sixth, seventh and eighth runners are starting to step up and show that they can be competitive.”

gh181212@ohiou.edu

@charliehatch_