Ohio's Taylor Brown dances through the Miami defense at Pruitt Field. Ohio won 2-0 on Oct. 2, 2011 and remained undefeated in MAC play. (Jason Chow | Director of Photography)

Field Hockey: Bobcats start season with setbacks

Ohio hit a speed bump to begin its season this weekend after losing a pair of contests in Boston, Mass.

The Bobcats (0-2) fell to No. 16 Boston 5-1 on Saturday, before losing to Delaware 5-2 on Sunday. However, Ohio remains optimistic for the future.

“In both games, we dominated the first 10 minutes but we couldn’t keep up with some of the speed on (defense),” coach Niel Macmillan said. “I still think we played well in both games. The scores were not indicative of the way we played.”

On Saturday, the Bobcats dropped their season opener to Boston, 5-1.

After a scoreless opening 12 minutes, Boston scored the first goal and never relinquished the lead.

The Terriers scored two more goals before the 35 minute mark to go up 3-0 at the half. Ohio then scored its first goal of the season in the 39 minute when senior Katherine Fenzel grabbed a rebounded corner and put it in the net from 11 yards out.

Boston tallied two more goals before the game was finished.

The Bobcats lost the shots-on-goal battle 19-10, but junior goalkeeper Brittany Walker recorded seven saves.

During Ohio’s second game this weekend, the Bobcats took the field against Delaware.

Once again, the Bobcats held the game scoreless during the opening ten minutes, before Delaware scored goals in the 11 and 12 minutes, before Ohio added to the scoring during the 13 minute.

Delaware continued its scoring in the 30’ and 40’ minutes, before the Bobcats scored their final goal of the game during the 45’ minute. Ohio eventually lost the contest 5-2. Senior Luli Gomez Tereul scored both of the Bobcats’ goals, as she converted two of her three shots into scores. Walker also saved more than 50 percent of the shots taken in the second game.

“We can take a lot of positives away from the weekend’s games,” Macmillan said. “We had good ball movement in both games and we pressed well on defense. I was also impressed with the way Andrea (Biegalski) stepped up and led this weekend. Britt (Walker) also did a great job of keeping us in the games.”

The Bobcats will play two more games next weekend against William and Mary and Louisville, meaning practice time will be valuable this week as the Bobcats push for their first victory.

“We’ll look at the film this week, but there definitely are a couple things we’re going to work on for sure,” Macmillan said. “Our defense around the goal has to improve, as well as our ability to finish on offense. We just need to be more consistent as a team, but that will come with time.”   

tj790511@ohiou.edu