Field Hockey: 'Cats start weekend with a win, end with a loss

Another pair of weekend games has come and gone for the Bobcats with the same result as the previous two: a split.

Ohio (3-6) defeated Towson 2-1 in overtime Saturday, before losing to Robert Morris on Sunday, 5-2.

“We put together an amazing attacking output on Saturday and dominated the overtime period,” coach Neil Macmillan said. “On Sunday, we were beaten by a team that was more adept at playing on the field turf surface then we were. Their execution, especially on their attacking corners, was a lot better than our defense of those.

“We showed great energy and effort throughout, but didn’t do the best job in putting the ball in the back of the net.”

Senior Jessica Jue continued her scoring streak, as she scored once in both games this weekend to place her season goal total and scoring streak at four.

Jue’s goal Saturday in the 78th minute gave Ohio an overtime win over Towson and Sunday’s goal in the 30th minute tied the game against Robert Morris at one.

“Jessica again played very well in the front line and the midfield,” Macmillan said. “She showed great vision and awareness this weekend, scoring in both games.”

Freshman Franziska Schmiedel scored her first goal as a Bobcat on Saturday when she scored off a corner to even the game at one.

“It was great to see Franzi get on the score sheet,” Macmillan said. “She had a very good, strong strike off a corner and buried it into the bottom left hand corner of the goal.”

The Bobcats continued to play great defense through the first 120 minutes of the weekend, allowing only four shots to be taken for the first game and a half while taking 35 shots of their own.

Robert Morris, however, came out in the second half and attempted eight shots, scoring on four of them.

On the offensive side of the field, Ohio was relentless. The Bobcats took 40 shots in both games this weekend, despite having attempted only 58 shots in the seven games preceding this weekend.

Junior Ashley Cureton scored a goal for the second consecutive weekend when she cut the Colonels’ lead to 4-2 in the 56th minute Sunday.

This weekend will be the last before the Bobcats play their first game of the season at the newly renovated Pruitt Field.

tj790511@ohiou.edu