High School Football: Buckeyes win first game, running back rushes for 333 yards

Nelsonville-York and Berne Union faced off on Friday night with both teams looking for their first win of the year.

Special teams were once again a weak point for the Buckeyes (1-2), as they used four different kickers, but none outshined each other and one kicker only one of his kicks see the air.

But the teams were neck and neck until midway through the second half, when it looked like Berne Union’s 29-man roster ran out of steam, as Nelsonville-York coasted to a 44-21 victory.

The Buckeyes were led by freshman Alex Mount, who ran for 333 yards on 26 carries.

He considered the feat and an honor, but he knew he was not do it alone.

"I have to give it up to the offensive line, they did a great job tonight." Mount said.

Coach Dave Boston Jr. also plenty of good things to say about a his freshman running back, who paced his team’s offene the entire game.

"Mount is a great young man, he has a bright future here," Boston Jr. said.

The offense on both teams began with great play, with the Buckeyes striking first after a 36-yard touchdown run by freshman Alex Mount, though they then failed a two-point conversion attempt.

The lead did not last long, as the Rockets responded by stringing together a drive that featured Zack Maust run 22 yards and give his team a 7-6 lead with 5:18 to play in the first quarter.

The score would on remain in favor of the Rockets (0-3) until the start of the second quarter when Nelsonville-York began on the Berne Union 14. Noah Andrews found the end zone after a 10-yard carry drive that put the Buckeyes back on top.

On the following drive, Nelsonville-York’s defense forced the Rockets to a fourth down, but the Buckeyes jumped the snap and were flagged for offsides —giving the Rockets new life, as they took advantage. On another fourth down, the Rockets elected to go for it, and quarterback Brady Mahlerview threw a pass into the hands of his diving receiver Blake Weidner tying the game up 14-14 after the successful PAT with 5:58 left in the second quarter.

The Buckeyes bounced back with a quick drive that in the end zone with with Mount rushing eight yards on a scoring play to but his squad ahead the score 20-14. Before the end of the half, the Buckeyes were in possession of the ball, but Weidner tossed an interception with 5.1 seconds left in the first half with a 20-14 lead.

The Rockets received the ball to begin the third quarter and quickly scored during Zack Maust’s 59-yard touchdown. But the lead once again did not last, as the first play of the next drive 46-yard run by Mount, which put the Buckeyes on Berne Union’s 5-yard-line.

Noah Andrews finished the job and found the end zone, though the team later failed to convert a two-point converstoin making it a 26-20 game.

Two drives later, the ball was then put back into Mount’s hands for 64-yard touchdown to extend his team’s lead, before Nelsoville-York found the end zone again in the third quarter on a QB keep by Colton Adams.

Nelsonville-York began with the ball to start the fourth quarter and it scored the game’s last touchdown, this time, Jakob Talbert found the end zone for a five-yard run.  

Looking forward to next week, Boston Jr. hopes to dedicate more time to special teams.

"Were gonna keep working on them, we are spending a bunch of time with the young guys,” he said. “We are definitely going to have to get back to working on it and putting the time on it."

The Buckeyes will attempt to take the positives of their victory to next week against River Valley.

ph553412@ohiou.edu

@PaulHolden33