The Ohio University dance team practices in The Convo. (Alex Feng | For The Post)

Immediately after tryouts, dance team already prepping routines

There’s a lot more behind the Ohio University Dance Team than the spins, glitter and outfits.

For members of the dance team, long hours of grueling practice, learning new skills and dances to show off on game night is what they strive to achieve. After a week of tryouts, the team is set and is already working.

Not being considered under OU’s athletics means that the team has to raise all their funds, manage time and perfect their skill set, said Melody Bryant, dance team captain and junior studying communication studies.

Hayley Herock, a senior on the dance team studying human biology, said not only does the team balance their commitment to school, but also their commitment to each other.

“We … really do love what we do,” Herock said. “We work hard and we put forth so much effort to be where we are. We raise all the funds for our uniforms and our jerseys and … we don’t get that funded for us, so we do extra work on top of that.”

Maggie Lilac, a new dancer and a freshman studying journalism, is fresh out of tryouts and prepping for her first performance at Saturday’s football game, something she said she is nervous about.

“For the game on Saturday, we have to learn everything,” Lilac said. “So I’m nervous I’m going to forget something but … the captains are so reassuring so they’re really good about making sure you’ll know them and you’ll go over them all the time.”

The team is led by two senior captains, Kristin Heffelman, who is studying marketing and management, and Kelley Byrne, also studying marketing and management along with junior captain Bryant. Bryant said she wants fellow Bobcats to support the team.

“I would like for more people to care about the team and come out and support us and actually watch us dance,” Bryant said. “Come to the games, not just for the basketball or football teams … whatever we may be at. We are there because we want to entertain you, we want you to appreciate it and we want to have fun.”

The dance team holds a special bond, like a family, said Bryant. And she’s seen where this family can and has taken her.

“Really, what this team has taught me is if you give it your all, you’ll get the results that you … never thought would actually happen,” Bryant said.

rb605712@ohiou.edu

@reb_barnes