IUC endorses rewording student trustee voting rights bill

With a hand-delivered letter, the Inter-University Council of Ohio formally expressed its support of the language change in House Bill 111 that would grant student trustees permissive voting rights.

Previously, the Inter-University Council, which represents the state’s public universities, was in part responsible for House Bill 377’s destruction after it expressed displeasure for the bill’s language requiring state universities to implement student trustee voting rights.

HB 111’s co-sponsors, Rep. Mike Duffey, R-Worthington, and Rep. Michael Stinziano, D-Columbus, received the letter Monday morning — support they now hope will enable the new bill to pass.

“Such participation enhances communication among trustees, administrators and students and helps trustees keep the student perspective at the forefront of deliberations. They provide meaningful insight regarding the student experience,” according to the letter.

A representative from the Inter-University Council didn’t return a request for comment by press time.

The modification will make student trustee voting rights permissive, allowing each state university’s Board of Trustees to determine whether its student trustees would have the right to vote. The bill as currently worded mandates student trustee voting rights.

“Each individual member (of the General Assembly) will have to make up their own mind but having such an important group … that supports this bill will definitely weigh on each member’s mind,” said Joe Garrity, Stinziano’s legislative aide.

Ohio University’s Board of Trustees hasn’t taken a formal stance on student trustee voting rights and couldn’t be reached for comment by press time.

OU President Roderick McDavis has previously deferred to the Inter-University Council to comment on student trustee voting rights.

“I, like the other (Inter-University Council) presidents, supported the letter given the permissive nature of the language in HB 111,” McDavis said in an email.

OU’s Student Senate has asked Stinziano and Duffey to come to its meeting to talk about the bill.

“Because of the (Inter-University Council) letter and because of the resolution we passed a few weeks ago (in Student Senate), the language (will most likely change) to permissive,” said Jordan Ballinger, Senate’s governmental affairs commissioner.

OU’s student trustees are divided on voting rights — second-year student trustee Amanda Roden believes the language change is a good idea, but doesn’t necessarily think OU should grant voting rights.

“(The language change) allows boards to decide what is best for them, and it allows boards to keep their autonomy and decide what they think is best,” Roden said.

First-year student trustee Keith Wilbur, on the other hand, has voiced support for student trustee voting rights.

State Sen. Lou Gentile, D-Steubenville, who represents Athens County, could not be reached for comment.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock