LGBTA groups provide support for non-students

The network for Athens LGBTA individuals extends far outside the Ohio University LGBT Center, with one more community group being recently added to the docket.

The beginning of summer marked the creation of the Rural Appalachian Rural Youth Alliance, which is an anonymous and confidential group for LGBTA members and allies from the ages of 10 to 18 years old.

“The need for (an) anonymous-based community group came about because youth either do not feel safe, do not feel supported or have received some type of rejection in trying to start their own Gay Straight Alliances within the schools,” said Ginny Blakely, a co-lead on RAYA.

Athens City Schools currently do not house any GSAs, and there are one or two present in Athens County, said Blakely. The group aims to allow socialization and support for LGBTA youth. Currently, three members are participating.

Delfin Bautista, director of OU’s LGBT Center, said the department is trying to advertise the new group as much as possible, and it fills a hole in the Athens LGBTA network.“Not everyone in Athens is connected to the university community,” Bautista said.

RAYA stemmed from Athens’ chapter of Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays, a group that provides advocacy and support for LGBTA individuals, their families and their friends.

Amy Fugikawa Zaros, co-chair of the organization, said the group is looking to continue to bring together LGBTA residents of Athens.

“Part of support is knowing who your allies are and knowing that you can be open with your life,”  Zaros said. “PFLAG is really engaged in the community.”

She added that there are different pockets of LGBTA individuals throughout Athens, and organizations such as PFLAG can bring them together. There is currently no LGBT Center for the city of Athens, nor are there official LGBTA bars or clubs.

PFLAG also expanded on its advocacy component this summer when the group took a trip to the Ohio Statehouse during Defense Of Marriage Act and Proposition 8 legislation.

“In the coming months there’s going to be much more of a call for (advocacy),” Zaros said.

PFLAG aims to advocate for Equal Housing and Employment Act legislation, as well as implementing Safe School legislation at both federal and state levels.

Both PFLAG and RAYA are confidential and anonymous. Information can be found through OU’s LGBT Center or the organizations’ websites.

eb104010@ohiou.edu