Fundraising event for the Promise Lives Campaign in Cleveland, Ohio. (Provided)

McDavis' fundraising success nears campaign goal, leads to bonus

While some Ohio University deadlines were extended this summer, one might be ahead of schedule.

OU’s Promise Lives Campaign, a fundraising effort started in July 2007, has raised nearly $430 million of its $450 million goal with a little less than two years to go, according to comments at OU’s recent Board of Trustees meeting.

“We’re at $428 million of a $450 million goal,” OU President Roderick McDavis said at last Thursday’s annual board retreat. “We’re delighted with where we stand in the campaign.”

The campaign runs through June 2015 but OU officials have repeatedly indicated they will likely meet their goal prior to that date.

OU’s fundraising brought in $9 million since March 2013. Of the total campaign, $224.85 million are alumni donations.

McDavis has personally travelled to Chatham, Mass., as well as Columbus and Cleveland, to raise money for the campaign, according to documents from the board retreat.

Board chairwoman Sandra Anderson cited McDavis’ strengths in fundraising for OU as part of the reason for giving him a raise. The board voted Thursday to raise McDavis’ salary by 2.89 percent, and give him a one-time bonus of $62,250, or 15 percent of his 2012-13 school year salary.

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold