Men's Golf: Ohio drops to 9th place at Wolf Run

The Ohio men’s golf team started the Wolf Run Intercollegiate tournament right where it left off at the Marshall Invitational — in the middle of the pack.

During the first round, the Bobcats finished 23-over-par and placed eighth overall out of 14 teams.

But after jumping out of the gates cold on day one, the Bobcats halted their slump and moved up the leaderboard to fourth place overall after the second round.

Freshman Peyton White and junior Andrew Mlynarski carried the Bobcats, through two rounds, as White was tied for third-best overall.

Despite competing in just his second tournament of his collegiate career, White led the leaderboards in round two by finishing one-over-par and garnishing a course-best 68 hole set.

The Bobcats eventually cooled off and finished ninth overall by the end of the tournament, but the streaky second round showed the Bobcats’ potential.

On a day that consisted of 20 mph wind gusts, the first round accumulated to about five hours.

Mlynarski stayed consistent in his play, putting a 75-stroke set in the first round, 76 in the second and 77 in the final round. His numbers were good enough for 37th overall.

The return of senior Connor Coldwater also gave the Bobcats rejuvenation, as he improved his score drastically in the second round by jumping 19 spots on the leaderboards. His performance gave the Bobcats three players in the top 30 golfers after day one.

The Bobcats would finish the Wolf Run Intercollegiate with a three-round combined score of 912.

Illinois went on to win the event with a score of 844, as a pair of Southeastern Conference teams rounded out the top three with Auburn, earning a second place finish at 877, while Kentucky finished in third with a score of 882.

@Lukeoroark