OU packs Parents Weekend with variety of fun excursions

From movie viewing to stargazing at The Ridges, Parents Weekend is chock full of a variety of events and excursions to engage the whole family in Athens culture.

Like years past, the Athena Cinema will be hosting several viewings of Monty Python and the Holy Grail throughout the weekend, said Alex Kamody, managing director of the Athena.

“(The Athena Cinema) thinks Monty Python is great for everyone, for siblings of all ages,” Kamody said. “It’s a classic and it’s great fun for everyone involved.”

The schedule also includes numerous events sponsored by Outdoor Pursuits, including Stargazing at The Ridges and hiking at Old Man’s Cave. David Roth, graduate assistant to Outdoor Pursuits, said the group had a lot of success this year selling tickets to their events.

“(Outdoor Pursuits events) sold a lot quicker,” Roth said. “We were looking at ways to expand it to do two tours in one day or different times; we’re still figuring it out. We want to get the word out about Outdoor Pursuits.”

With all of the success, Roth said he is happy about the buzz occurring around Outdoor Pursuits activities.

“I’m super excited to have all (of) this interest in these trips,” Roth said.

For those not into the outdoor scene, University Program Council is organizing its annual Parents Weekend breakfasts on Saturday. Nicole Sirpilla, one of UPC’s Creative Events Executives and a senior studying organizational communications, said the breakfast will feature good food and prominent speakers from the university.

“… Rufus is going to be there and people will be able to take pictures with Rufus and also at the first seating, Ohio University President Roderick McDavis is going to be speaking and at the second seating, Dean [of Students] Jenny Hall-Jones will be speaking,” Sirpilla said.

rb605712@ohiou.edu

@reb_barnes