OU to distribute employee raises, strive to offer competitive salaries

The guidelines as to how Ohio University’s 1 percent faculty and staff salary increase will be allocated were decided Thursday, but it won’t be distributed until later this semester.

The increase was approved at the Board of Trustees meeting on Aug. 28 and will be distributed depending on a particular employee’s university position, according to a news release.

The guidelines state that for employees to receive the raise they must have started at OU prior to July 1, 2013 and remained working at OU until the raise is implemented, said Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit and Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding in the release.

Golding said in a previous interview that making faculty and staff salaries at OU competitive with other Ohio public universities is a top priority.

During the 2011-12 school year, OU ranked seventh highest in the state for assistant, associate and full professor salaries, according to a 2012 OU Faculty Senate report.

Senate Chair Elizabeth Sayrs said OU is now eighth in the state for associate and assistant professor salaries.

“I think that’s holding down the excitement, but certainly (this increase) is better than not,” Sayrs said.

The funds will be distributed in a variety of ways.

Faculty and Administrative employees will receive merit increases that can total 0.25 percent to 3 percent, to be determined by individual performance evaluations carried out by their department heads.

All classified employees, members of the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees and the Fraternal Order of Police of Ohio, Inc., will receive a one percent salary increase.

This 1 percent salary pool comes on top of the 2 percent salary increase for all employees, which was approved by the board last June.

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold