Post Editorial: Openness with admins is essential

Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit answers a question from a Post reporter. She, Ohio University President Roderick McDavis and Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding, visited the newsroom on Thursday. Jim Ryan | For The Post

The Post hosted a meeting with top Ohio University officials President Roderick McDavis, Executive Vice President Pam Benoit and Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding, Thursday morning. The trio came to the newsroom in Baker with several others for a meet and greet with Post staffers.

The meeting with the administrators — the first of its kind — was a great opportunity for dialogue between The Post and the university’s top leaders.

The trio expressed concerns it has with our coverage and Post reporters were able to ask a few of the many questions we have for them.

We applaud McDavis, Benoit and Golding for taking the time to meet with us.

We know each of them has significant responsibilities in making this university run every day and understand their schedules can be pretty tight.

We also know that these are the officials who steer the direction of the university. Their opinions and decisions have significant impact on the students, faculty and staff of OU and Athens residents.

Understanding the gravity of their positions, we will continue to doggedly pursue them while reporting on university issues — from guaranteed tuition to financial aid to capital improvements.

We thank McDavis, Benoit and Golding for laying a foundation upon which The Post hopes to build. When reporting on matters that directly affect you, our readers, getting answers from the university’s top administrators is essential.

We hope Thursday’s meeting will be one of many to come in The Post’s future. We urge the university’s administrators to continue an open dialogue with The Post.

If you, our readers, hope so too, we encourage you to urge them as well.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.