Senate discusses Spring Concert, hears from Post-IT!

It was the temperature that left members of the Student Senate body heated at a meeting where jackets were off and cold drinks abundant.

Senate President Nick Southall opened the meeting with a moment of silence in memory of the lives lost 12 years ago on Sept. 11, 2001.

The mood lightened as a discussion led by Brian Heilmeier, assistant director for campus programs, focused on the work of the Campus Involvement Center, specifically looking at the upcoming Spring Concert.

The Center will be surveying students, based on a provided list of performers, as to whom they would like to see at the concert. The tentative date for the show is April 11.

“One of the things we have learned is that just because you offer (performers) what they want, that doesn’t mean that they will come, so we need a lot of options,” Heilmeier said.

Senate brainstormed potential performers, with suggestions ranging from John Mayer to Big Sean and Ed Sheeran to Aaron Carter.

Senate also heard from representatives from one of Ohio University’s newest organizations — Post-IT!

The group aims to bring awareness to suicide prevention, offering support and encouragement to the OU community through messages on Post-its.

“Everything we have seen is so positive,” said Bethany Logan, president of Post-IT! “We really want to collaborate with as many people as we can and really build a huge community.”

Taylor Hufford, LGBT Affairs commissioner, informed the body of her work with Equality Ohio, an organization which aims to bring workplace equality to those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.

The cause hits home for Hufford, who acknowledged the potential to have workplace discrimination.

“I cannot believe that I could be fired for who I love,” Hufford said.

No resolutions were passed at the meeting.

Senate’s budget was $18,949.03 and SAC’s budget was $116,392.22.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock