Senate reflects on how to better represent students

Student Senate took a step back Wednesday evening to reevaluate its internal structure, culture and goals for the school year.

Senate President Nick Southall presented the body with his visions for the future of Senate, stressing the need to improve student involvement.

“There are way too many meetings where I sit down and I am the only student in the room. How am I supposed to represent 24,000 to 26,000 people?” Southall said.

To be better attuned with student opinion, Southall will be holding meetings with students two days before he sits down with administrators such as President Roderick McDavis and those on the Budget Planning Council.

By reaching out to other student organizations, Senate hopes to improve student communication as well.

All Senate members will be required to meet with four student organizations in the next two weeks, delivering letters with contact information for Senate and explaining the body’s function.

“Just reassuring them that we are here for you and support what you are doing … I think that is the best way of going about this,” said Caleb Balduff, senator at-large in the University Life Commission.

In addition to improving overall student communication, Senate also addressed the need to be more representative of minority students on campus.

“They look at our body and they see a bunch of white men,” said Mackenzi Bentley, Appalachian student delegate.

Discussion continued as to how Senate could be of a more practical use to students by hosting programs about loan education and test preparation.

Bill Arnold, graduate assistant for bystander intervention and prevention education for Ohio University’s Women’s Center, addressed the body about “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes,” which will take place on Oct. 19.

The Senate Appropriations Commission’s current budget stands at $103,325.02 while Senate’s budget is at $23,919.11.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock