Student Senate President Nick Southall (center), with his Vice President Anna Morton (left) and Treasurer Austin LaForest (right). Senate disussed higher standards, transportation and evaluations on Wednesday. Jason E. Chow | Director of Photography

Senator resigns from position, urges for higher standards

Mary Kate Gallagher stepped into senate with an agenda all her own Wednesday night.

Fed up with being disrespected by some members of the body she loves, Gallagher, who resigned Sunday from her role as residence life commissioner, called out what she sees as senate’s unwelcoming and aloof practices.

Gallagher explained her reason for resigning during Student Speak OUt at senate’s Wednesday evening meeting, where she received a standing ovation.

“I am stepping down because of behavior that has occurred over my many years of senate, not because of one person … but because of many,” she said.  “I am blessed to have (had) this experience … but this is no longer the family I joined five years ago.”

According to Gallagher, the culture of senate needs to be changed internally so that the body can better serve students externally.

“I cannot count how many times my fellow women and I have been called b------ or mean for holding people to higher standards,” Gallagher said. “No person should feel like an outsider in this body. No one in this room is better than anyone else — no one.” 

She suggested putting down the laptops, stepping out of the senate office and talking to students.

“Listen to students… engage them, empower them … help them make the change they want to see in this university,” Gallagher said.

“Student Senate is irrelevant, but we need to make it relevant (again).”

Anna Morton, senate’s vice president, said Gallagher’s resignation should be a wake up call for the body.

“I am not going to be putting up with this,” Morton said. “We need a behavior change. It is time for someone to put their foot down and realize why we are here.”

Senate’s need to be more accountable with students was reiterated by Hashim Pashtun, senate’s international affairs commissioner, during his address to senate members.

“Something is wrong. We should go for more outreach … we should regain (students’) trust … and the legacy of the senate,” Pashtun said. “When we say family we should mean it.”

The family Gallagher hopes to see in senate’s future involves more respect, privacy and support.

Senate also heard from Michael Lachman, transportation services manager for Athens Transit, who gave an update of the company’s expanded bus routes.

“We are trying to make Athens transit … something that is really there for all of you, all of us,” Lachman said.

Ohio University alumna Brianna Savoca presented on behalf of Teach For America, highlighting the importance of education for children. 

Senate concluded with an executive review session, where voting members of the body evaluated the work of the executives — President Nick Southall, Morton and Treasurer Austin LaForest.

Senate did not release the results of the review Wednesday night.

The Senate Appropriations Commission’s current budget stands at $110,696.52 while senate’s budget is at $24,284.73. 

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock