Sports Column: Woods not out of the woods just yet despite top ranking, victories

Tiger Woods has had a very up-and-down season, but has managed to salvage five PGA Tour wins.

However, he went 0-for-4 in major championships for the fifth consecutive year and remains winless in his last 18 appearances in majors.  

He is coming off a close second place finish at The Barclays last weekend, in which he was just inches away from his final putt rolling in, which would’ve forced a playoff.

Five victories in one season is a big deal, but he has shown  he has been frustrated throughout the season, being that he hasn’t closed out a major championship since the 2008 U.S. Open. Since that victory he has had nine top ten finishes through 18 appearances, including this year’s Masters and Open Championship.

He currently sits atop all as the No. 1 golfer in the world, but the golfer who sits at No. 2 is slowly creeping up on him this season.

This golfer is Adam Scott, who won The Barclays last week, which is the first of the four FedEx Cup playoffs that annually occur at the end of the PGA season.

Scott holds two victories this year — compared to Tiger’s five — but many people, including Scott, have said that Tiger certainly would rather switch seasons with Scott.

Scott’s victories include a major championship at The Masters, along with a FedEx Cup victory at The Barclays.

Tiger is currently still searching for his 15th major championship victory, as he is chasing Jack Nicklaus, who holds the record for the most major championship victories with 18. While some say he won’t ever win another major because he is past his prime, he has competed for seven years less than Nicklaus.

Tiger is also chasing another record, which is closer to his grasp.

He currently has 79 PGA Tour victories and is four short of breaking Sam Snead’s record of 82. This is a record that some think Tiger will break, possibly within the next year. With his five victories this year, he has proven he is not slowing down any time soon despite his struggles at times.

Tiger’s “struggling” season this year has included a fair share of smaller injuries and pain, along with major championship struggles, but it still may earn him PGA Player of the Year when everything is said and done.

No matter how much he has struggled in winning the majors, he has proved time and time again that he is truly “back.”

Look for Tiger to win his next major very soon.

ab109410@ohiou.edu

@buschy639