State grants McDavis committee leadership

Ohio Gov. John Kasich has turned to Athens for new leadership.

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis will co-chair the new Ohio Higher Education Funding Commission 2.0, announced in Columbus on Friday.

The commission is tasked with recommending capital projects to the state for funding for the 2015-16 fiscal year by the end of December, Kasich said.

“I’m so glad the governor has confidence in me to provide leadership,” McDavis said.

McDavis will chair the committee alongside Kevin Boys, president of Southern State The last capital bill, which was part of the state’s 2013-14 budget, allocated $400 million to higher education projects, a number McDavis said he hopes to meet or exceed.

McDavis said this commission would have more face-to-face meetings than the initial 2011 commission.

Every institution will submit a list of projects it would like to see included in the capital bill, McDavis said. OU’s will largely ask for money to reduce its deferred maintenance backlog, he added.

“I am pleased to join the (commission) and look forward to working with my colleague Rod McDavis and presidents from across the state as we tackle our own challenges as a collective group,” said Joseph Alutto, OSU’s interim president, in a statement.

The commission will include Alutto, as well as the presidents of Cleveland State University, Wright State University and Zane State College.

“Rod stands out because he is one of our most senior people and known to the governor and a good choice,” said David Hodge, president of Miami University.

The commission will hold its first meeting in early October, McDavis said.

@WillDrabold

dd1957101@ohiou.edu