Steam tunnel suffers severe leak, could be hazardous

One of Ohio University’s steam tunnels had a severe leak requiring its entrance to be roped off after dangerously high-temperatures raged inside.

The high-temperature steam in the tunnel, located at the top of Jefferson Hill, required barriers, caution tape and a sign warning people not to open the tunnel entrance.

Facilities worked Wednesday to reduce the steam so workers could repair the leak, OU spokeswoman Katie Quaranta said in an email.

A Post investigation found that the entrance of the same steam tunnel was unlocked as early as Monday, though it was supposed to be locked. OU students are forbidden from entering the tunnels, which provide heating and cooling to university buildings.

“We know of one severe leak, but there could be several very small ones that we do not know about yet,” Quaranta said. “I cannot go into detail about exactly where the tunnel leads for reasons of safety and security.”

The leak poses no danger and the hatch leading to the tunnel has been locked, Quaranta said.

Steam carried in the tunnels can get as hot as 350 degrees, according to a previous Post article.

“I don’t think people understand how dangerous those tunnels are,” OUPD Chief Andrew Powers said in a previous Post article. “Steam under high pressure, if there is even just a tiny little leak in a steam pipe and somebody walks past it, can sever limbs.”

If repairs on the tunnel affect any OU building, Facilities will inform the campus via email, Quaranta said.

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold