Study announces Ohio power plants topping 'America's dirtiest'

Environment Ohio, a Columbus-based environmental group, held a news conference outside the Athens Public Library last week to announce the release of their new study, “America’s Dirtiest Power Plants.” The study documents carbon pollution in the United States and preventative measures to stop global warming.

Environment Ohio field organizer Callie Bruley organized the event and stressed the importance of reforming Ohio’s carbon fuel industry in the fight against global warming.

“Ohio ranks second in the country for most carbon pollution from its power plants, the state’s largest source of global warming pollution,” Bruley said.

To combat the carbon problem, Bruley recommended a “cleaning up” process for Ohio, focusing on a switch to alternative energy sources.

“If we want a cleaner, safer future for our kids, we can’t continue to ignore power plants’ overwhelming contribution to global warming,” Bruley said. “For Ohio, tackling the problem means cleaning up the dirtiest power plants.”

Geoff Greenfield, president of Third Sun Solar, an Athens-based solar power company, advocates solar energy as a solution to Ohio’s carbon problem. Greenfield said solar energy is not only a reliable energy source, but it could also revitalize the job market in Ohio.

“There are more solar workers in Texas than ranchers,” Greenfield said. “There are all sorts of discussions throughout the country about job creation. You can’t export solar.”

Greenfield said that in an economy that is slowly phasing out coal, solar energy stands out as an important job source for energy professionals.

“Coal miners in Virginia are already being put out of work by the natural gas revolution that’s going on. They’re part of an older energy era,” Greenfield said. “Change happens, evolution happens and we’re undergoing that right now.”

Sustainanle energy will become especially significant for Athens residents in the following months. According to an earlier Post article, Athens City Council decided last week to make electric aggregation a topic on the November ballot. If passed, the legislation would allow Athens residents to buy natural gas and electricity directly from the city.

Athens City Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, encouraged Athens voters to stay informed and be prepared when they vote on an issue affecting the environment.

“We’re encouraging people to vote in the November ballot,” Papai said. “This (electric aggregation issue) is something for people to really educate themselves about and ask questions about.”

In addition to giving Athens residents a more direct say in how they get their energy, the electric aggregation legislation, if passed, will include green energy credit. This would allow Athens City Council to ensure that a larger fraction of Athens’s energy is being taken from renewable energy sources, according to a previous Post article.

As November approaches, Greenfield directed Athens citizens toward local renewable energy sources as a valuable provider of energy and jobs for Athens residents.

“Job creation and economic potential, as well as long-term economic stability of our nation, lies down a path that includes renewable energy,” Greenfield said.

bl917911@ohiou.edu

@Branden_Lab