That's A Wrap: Harry Potter series is as good as it is going to get

It was announced last Friday that J. K. Rowling and Warner Bros. will once again work together to make a new Harry Potter spin-off film.

This announcement didn’t come as a surprise to me since the eight Harry Potter films were one of the highest grossing franchises of all time, making even more than the Marvel Cinematic Universe and X-Men franchises combined.

Rowling will actually be taking the helm and will be screenwriting the new film, which will be based off the fictional Hogwarts textbook Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and its author Newt Scamander. The film will not be a prequel or sequel to the Harry Potter films and will actually take place 70 years before Harry’s story.

I honestly think that the Harry Potter movie franchise is as good as it is going to get. I have to admit I think the process of making the HP films has been a mess with the array of different directors, the inconsistent themes of the films and just tying them all together.

This new spin-off could make or break the franchise depending on how well it turns out. I feel like this will be a good film because like the last two Harry Potter films they won’t seem as formulaic as the first six because it won’t take place in Hogwarts. However, this is Rowling’s first time writing a screenplay, which is very different than writing books in the fact that they are less “wordy” so we have yet to wait and see what she is able to do.

Abdalah El-Barrad is a freshman studying economics and a columnist for The Post. Are you lookig forward to the new spin-off? Email him at

ae738513@ohiou.edu.