That's A Wrap: Recent superhero flicks lack prominent female roles

I’ve noticed that DC and Marvel have been making superhero films every year, but one thing I’ve been wondering is: When will they make a movie with a female lead role?

While DC Comics and Warner Bros. are preoccupied with their current Batman vs. Superman project, they probably won’t consider another film until after the film hits production. Marvel, on the other hand, might already be organizing a slot in the near future to have a movie starring a female superhero.

Louis D’Esposito, a producer at Marvel Studios, has previously stated that there has been a need for more female roles in the Marvel Universe. The only problem is that Marvel already has too much on its plate with the future releases of Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Even D’Esposito said adding a third film would be difficult. There might be hope for one in 2016 though. I just hope it will be better than DC’s sad attempt at a film, Catwoman.

Katee Sackhoff, best known for her role as Captain Kara ‘Starbuck’ Thrace in Battlestar Galactica, has recently announced on the Schmoes Know Podcast that she has been meeting with Marvel to “check her availability for the first quarter of the next year”. Rumor has it she was destined to play the starring role of Captain Marvel sometime after Marvel’s current projects passed in 2016.

Captain Marvel (formally known as Miss Marvel), is a female U.S. Air Force officer that receives superpowers after an encounter with Mar-Vell (the original Captain Marvel) when her DNA structure was grafted with his. She has super strength, super speed, and the abilities to absorb energy and fly. She has also been a major character in the Avengers comic books and has even led the Avengers at certain points. Since Sackhoff stated that she and Marvel have been working together, some think that maybe in the next year she could join the cast of Avengers: Age of Ultron.

However, I find this unlikely, even though director-writer Joss Whedon stated last year that he wants more people in the Avengers, especially more female heroines. But the film has already added three new superheroes to its league since the last film (two of which will appear for the first time in the sequel), and Whedon has probably already made up his mind about what he wants to do with the film.

What I think is likely to happen is Sackhoff will appear in the after credits of Guardians of the Galaxy since the film features Kree aliens, which are the same species as Mar-Vell, so they could have some foreshadowing of what will occur for her film.

I am really excited to see what they do with the character and can’t wait to watch as they expand to diversify their universe. I hope to even see a Black Widow and a Pepper Pots film someday as the Marvel cinematic universe expands.

Abdalah El-Barrad is a freshman studying economics and a columnist for The Post. Do you think there should be more female roles in superhero films? Email him at ae738513@ohiou.edu.