Via Sean Hundley

Three bands bring a variety of sound to Casa

Concertgoers can see their share of jazz-infused rock, clashing guitars, ambient noise and folk storytelling, as Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St., will host three bands Saturday night. 

Hundos, Sunglass and Ben Stalets will all perform, but Hundos is no stranger to the Casa stage as members (and brothers) Sean and Kevin Hundley have performed here as both Hundos and with their former band Zapaño over the years.

The Columbus band is the product of material the brothers recorded and rehearsed while still playing as the four-piece Zapaño, where Sean was vocalist and Kevin played bass.

The frequent recording of material is a hallmark of how Hundos operates, Sean said, as the band has released four albums worth of material over the past year.

“With our approach, we have to always be recording,” Sean said. “Even if I come in for drum practice, and I’m just going to run through drills, you may stumble on something (new).”

The band’s set consists entirely of new material that has yet to be recorded but has been practiced and performed on a recent 15-show, 21-day tour. Sean said every performance allows their music to grow and develop over time, in the vein of the loose-groove oriented tradition of jazz music.

“Our writing process is working with the material that we have and showing up every day and going over our parts again and again, kind of waiting for something new to come of it,” Sean said.

Currently, Hundos is a two-man band, with Sean behind the kit and Kevin still on bass while also playing a rig of synthesizers where he can run bass and synth loops, expanding the sound of the duo.

Rounding out the line-up is the more straight-up rock music of Sunglass and the Bob Dylan/Woody Guthrie-influenced music of Ben Stalets, which will make for a diverse music experience.

Stalets, from Toledo, said he has only been recording and performing music over the last three years, and became inspired by Dylan and Guthrie’s use of storytelling to convey messages to the crowd.

Even though Stalets performs with just an acoustic guitar, he said he could contend with the noisier music of the other two acts.

“Although I’m an acoustic act, I don’t really try to view it as such,” Stalet said. “I don’t just sit on a stool and play cover songs, I really try to play an engaging show.”

ds834910@ohiou.edu

@drussell23

What: Hundos, Sunglass and Ben Stalets

Where: Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St.

When: 10:30 p.m. Saturday

Admission: $3 over 21, $5 under 21