Ohio outside hitter Chelsea Bilger pushes the ball past Miami setter Meg Riley. The Ohio Bobcats defeated the Miami RedHawks 3-1 at The Convo, Oct. 26, 2012. (Daniel Kubus | File Photo)

Volleyball: OU invites Ohio teams, UNC to home opener

Ohio will kick off its 2013 home campaign in The Convo this weekend when it hosts the Baymont Inn Invitational after notching three straight-set victories last weekend.

The Bobcats’ Oregon Classic victories earned them a 3-0 start, which is the squad’s best since 2009. The wins also earned the Bobcats 82 votes in this week’s American Volleyball Coaches Association Poll, putting them at No. 27.

Coach Ryan Theis said the first three matches were a great start for the team, but it was just one weekend and they need to look forward to the upcoming matchups at home.

“It’s a momentum builder and a step in the right direction,” Theis said. “It’s just one weekend though, and we’ve got 12 or 13 more to go.”

Sophomore setter Abby Gilleland was named the Oregon Classic’s MVP, as she notched 92 assists, 18 digs and 12 kills during three victories.

Her performances last weekend earned herself the Mid-American Conference East Division Offensive Player of the Week honors, along with MAC Female Scholar Athlete of the Week recognition.

Junior outside hitter Kelly Lamberti made the Oregon Classic’s all-tournament team along with Gilleland. She ranks fifth in the MAC with 3.78 kills per set, while the Bobcats’ .332 hitting percentage is best in the MAC.

Ohio will take the court against Cincinnati (0-3), No. 24 North Carolina (3-0) and Dayton (2-1) this weekend.

The Bobcats fell to the Tar Heels on the road in five sets last season, while also losing to Dayton, but Ohio is 22-6 at home since 2011.

“We want to continue rolling, last weekend is over and done with,” graduate-student middle blocker Alexis Pinson said. “We want to take what weaknesses we had, try to fix them and come out on top.”

Theis says the competition this weekend will be very tough, despite Cincinnati entering the weekend without a win this season.

“(Cincinnati) didn’t get a win the first weekend but they played three very good teams,” Theis said. “I’m always a little on edge when we play a team without a win because if they can get a smell of it they’re going to go for it. I don’t think there’s going to be any easy ones this weekend.”

Sophomore libero Meredith Ashy said the team has to focus on the matches in front of them to be successful.

“We just (have to) continue to stay focused, relaxed, and come together,” Ashy said. “The main thing is staying focused on what we need to do on the court.”

Ohio will begin the invitational against Cincinnati on Friday at noon before taking on No. 24 North Carolina at 7 p.m. They finish the weekend with a matchup against Dayton on Saturday at 3 p.m.

ab109410@ohiou.edu

@buschy6391