Ohio forward Alexis Milesky, left, kicks toward the goal, while DePaul goalkeeper Megan Pyrz, right, attempts to block her. Ohio fell to DePaul 3-1 during the game at Chessa Field, Friday, Aug. 30.

(Isaac Hale | Staff Photographer)

Women's Soccer: Bobcats look to continue goal scoring

Ohio is flying high, after coming off a nearly flawless performance this past Sunday.

The Bobcats (1-2-1) will look to carry the momentum from last week’s 5-1 victory against Eastern Kentucky into this weekend’s contests against Niagara and Morehead State — neither of which have won this season.

Meanwhile, Ohio will attempt to string together a winning streak and push its record above the .500-mark for the first time this season.

Before their victory against the Colonels, the Bobcats had trouble finishing their chances.

Although their woes may not be over, the Bobcats took a step in the right direction by netting five of their eleven shots on goal against the Colonels.

“We have to learn how to win,” head coach Aaron Rodgers said. “We have to learn how when it gets tough that we can be the team that scores the gritty goal and go out and win the game.”

The backend of the defense is keeping up its incredible form from last season.

The Bobcat defenders are only letting in 1.20 goals per game, which can be attributed to the experience and chemistry among goalie Mattie Liston and defenders Grace Campbell and Gabby Hausfeld.

“For the backs our defensive mindset is keep it on the side and pressing until we win it and then we go,” assistant coach Allison Whitworth. “The concepts are the same its maybe just some different angles that keep people on or discuss so that they kind of know where they need to be going.”

On Friday, the Bobcats will travel north along the Canadian border to take the pitch against Niagara.

Ohio will attempt to fair well against Niagara (0-4), as the Purple Eagles struggled to create any offense to begin their season.

The squad is coming off a weekend where the Purple Eagles were unable to attempt a shot against South Florida, while only attempting three shots against Jacksonville.

This will play into Rodger’s strategy of controlling the possession and creating a ton of chances.

The Bobcats will return to Chessa Field at 1 p.m. on Sunday against Morehead State, which has already played stiff competition this season, including a 3-2 loss to No. 23 Ohio State in their season opener.

Morehead State isn’t unfamiliar with the MAC either, as it played Akron to a 2-1 loss in overtime, but in the preseason Akron was picked to finish fourth in the MAC East, while Ohio was picked to finish third in the coaches poll.

This weekend’s games could determine the direction of the Bobcats’ season, as two wins could help carry momentum into the beginning of MAC play.

On the flipside, a poor performance this weekend could set Ohio back as they’ll have some to work to do before conference play.

ak840511@ohiou.edu

@Kovarandrew