Ancient Athens history comes alive at the Indian Mound Festival

If You Go

What: Indian Mound Festival

When: 5 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. Saturday; 9 a.m. Sunday

Where: The Plains Community Park, Connett Road

Admission: Free

For many Ohio University students, Athens is about great friends, scary stories, beautiful scenery and delicious burritos. However, many graduate without understanding the rich cultural history of the area.

Long before becoming a community of higher education, Athens was home to the Adena, a prehistoric Native American tribe dating from circa 1000-800 B.C. Although many of their mounds could once be found in The Plains, now there are only about three, according to curator of the Athens County Historical Society and Museum, Jessica Cyders.

“‘Adena does not refer to any particular tribe because we have no idea what they would have called themselves,” Cyders said. “It’s just what archaeologists have called them.”

This weekend, Athens residents will get the chance to discover the rich history of this tribe at the Indian Mound Festival. The festival is packed with activities such as karaoke, line dancing and the much-anticipated return of Indian Mound tours.

The festival is sponsored by The Plains Lions Club, a community-service oriented group that is part of an international organization. The festival, which has been around for 28 years, was adopted by the Lions Club as a way to foster knowledge and serve the community.

“Not everyone in the committee for the festival is in the Lions Club,” said Bill Snider, co-membership chair of The Plains Lions Club. “The Indian Mound Festival has been around for longer than the Lions Club.”

The festival will also feature performers, including Civil War reenactment volunteers, an Elvis impersonator and live music. In addition to these acts, there will be many local craft and food vendors throughout the weekend.

President of The Plains Lions Club, Tami Blake, said she assures that the festival is an enjoyable and frugal way to experience the history of the area.

“There will be a historical display of artifacts, such as the atlatl,” Blake said. “People can throw them, and it’s all free.”

jb540612@ohiou.edu

@jburroughs88