Board of Trustees: university prepares for reaccreditation

Lunchtime conversation for Ohio University’s Board of Trustees was more than just afternoon banter; the board discussed the university’s process of regional reaccreditation over soup and salad.

OU is currently on the academic quality improvement pathway, a process in which they were invited to take part in by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools in 2002.

The university will formally be evaluated for reaccreditation during the 2014-15 academic year, though the process never really stops during the seven years between reaccreditation.

“There is always something going on,” said Pam Benoit, executive vice president and provost.

The university has until Nov. 1 to submit a systems portfolio review — a 100 page document answering 137 questions in regards to OU’s operational processes.

“We feel like the systems portfolios we have put together is very strong but there’s more work to be done past the systems portfolio,” Benoit said. 

Beyond the university identifying its strengthens, other steps of the reaccreditation process will involve confirming those claims through on-campus interviews and forums.

“They will randomly select some of you to talk to about the reaccreditation process so we want to begin the conversation now,” said OU President Roderick McDavis.

Regional accreditation adds much importance to a university’s name, as it is needed for students to transfer academic credits to other institutions, obtain federal financial aid and federal grants and ensure academic quality of the institution as a whole.

The university has created a task force and appointed Mike Williford as vice provost for institutional accreditation, to ensure its success during the process.

“What they are looking for is evidence that we meet the criteria and they will look everywhere and anywhere to find that,” Williford said.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock