Day of Action to promote LGBTA-friendly legislation

Although the LGBT Center’s Speakout on Friday is to recognize the history of coming out and LGBTA topics, the Saturday activities have to do with the future of the community.

Americans for Workplace Opportunity will be present at the LGBT tailgate on Saturday to canvas for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. The legislation would prohibit consideration of sexual orientation or gender identity in hiring and employment processes.

“Athens is one of the sites for our Day of Action,” said Shawn Copeland, field organizer for the group. “It’s a large crowd that we think will attract a lot of folks and a lot of conversation.”

Iraina Caruso, a fifth-year student studying human biology, volunteered with Equality Ohio during the summer and is currently doing volunteer work on campus collecting postcards to send to Republican Ohio Senator Rob Portman to support ENDA.

“We’re collecting 10,000 postcards to be sent to Sen. Portman,” Caruso said. “A lot of people think that we already have laws to protect LGBT people, but there’s not, so (part of it) is educating people.”

Aliya Rahman, the field director for Equality Ohio, said in terms of LGBTA legislation, the state is behind. For example, she said, Ohio is one of the three states that does not allow trans people to change their gender on their birth certificate.

“What we’re seeing on a national level … is that the gulf between states are growing,” Rahman said. “Some states have everything, some states have nothing.”

But for now, Athens will be one of the seven cities in Ohio that will be included in the Day of Action. At the tailgate, Americans for Workplace Opportunity will be encouraging individuals to call Portman’s office.

“We’re doing a multifaceted campaign,” Copeland said. “He hasn’t made an endorsement of Ohio, so hearing from constituents from different regions of Ohio (is) important to him understanding what Ohio wants.”

@EmilyMBamforth

eb104010@ohiou.edu