OU freshman Franziska Schmiedel passes the ball down field in the game against Central Michigan. Ohio lost the Oct. 19 game 2-1 in overtime. (Seth Archer | for The Post)

Field Hockey: Controversial call ends rainy home opener

After weeks of anticipation for Ohio’s first game on the newly installed turf at Pruitt Field, the Bobcats’ home opener Saturday was not decided until the final play of overtime, resulting in an Ohio loss to Central Michigan, 2-1.

With less than a minute to play in the first overtime period, Central Michigan (5-8, 2-1 Mid-American Conference) received a corner opportunity and converted with a goal that ricocheted off Chippewa junior Mary Alice Moore’s stick into the right side of the goal.

While Central Michigan celebrated its game-winning goal, Ohio coach Neil Macmillan ran onto the rain-soaked turf to dispute what he believed to be a controversial call, along with a contingent of Bobcat players.

The dispute was to no avail, however, as the referee flashed, but did not issue, a red card to Macmillan, who declined to comment on the call during postgame interviews.

“It was a pretty physical game overall. Both teams got after it hard on both sides of the field,” he said. “The game was up and down, emotion-wise.”

Before the final goal was scored, the game was evenly matched, as each team scored one goal in regulation play.

The Bobcats (5-8, 1-1 MAC) made their way on the scoreboard first in the 20th minute with freshman Franziska Schmeidel’s second goal of the season and took their 1-0 lead into halftime.

Junior goalkeeper Brittany Walker and the corner defense for the Bobcats were strong in the first half, keeping the Chippewas off the board in their three corner chances.

During the second half, Central Michigan controlled the possession and recorded four more corner opportunities and scoring on the third.

Senior Bailey McKeon assisted Chippewa junior Jordyn Brengosz when she knocked in a short-range goal in the 47th minute. The remainder of regulation would be marked by poor footing and missed opportunities on both sides.

"Generally, I thought we played OK, but it wasn’t a consistent game,” Macmillan said. “We didn’t do everything we wanted to in terms of combining and passing the ball around. We put together some nice plays, but we didn’t stick to our game plan for some critical portions of the match.”

The Bobcats will continue Mid-American Conference play against rival Miami on Wednesday at Pruitt Field.

tj790511@ohiou.edu