Gamer Girl: PS4 and the Xbox One: Which to choose?

Recently, I made a pretty tough decision: When the time comes, I will be choosing to upgrade my dear Xbox 360 to the soon-to-be-released PlayStation 4 (go ahead and gasp).

The PlayStation 4 is set to be released Nov. 15, followed by the Xbox One on the 22. I know for sure that I won’t be splurging on a new console right away — I fully intend to wait until a game comes out that I want so desperately that I will make the investment.

When the new consoles were announced, I was initially a little upset. I bought my current Xbox 360 about three years ago. Though it sounds like a while, it’s the newest version of the console and is in excellent condition. I haven’t had it long enough to be drooling over the thought of a new one!

To me, there aren’t a ton of differences between the new consoles besides a few key points. I would gladly take both, and maybe one day I will have both.

One of the largest differences between the two is the price tag. The Xbox One comes in at $499, while the PS4 follows at $399. The Xbox, however, comes with the newest version of Kinect, its motion-sensing technology. From what the trailers and information give, Microsoft intends to integrate the technology much more into the games to make it a whole new experience. The PS4 has its own version, dubbed the PlayStation Eye camera, but it must be bought separately.

Both devices will require you to buy a subscription to their online service to play online, but the PS4 offers anyone access to services such as Netflix, Hulu and Skype without a PlayStation Network subscription.

Although both of the new consoles have updated looks from their predecessors, the PS4 is much sleeker and more unique looking. It has a parallelogram shape, while the Xbox One has the standard Xbox box design. The Xbox One will definitely fit in more with a media setup, but the PS4 will stand out — something a lot of gamers want.

The advanced controller on the PS4 is what I am looking forward to the most. I was always apprehensive about the console because I simply didn’t like the feel of the controller in my hands. The new triggers will be more fitted to a hand to allow more comfort and ease when playing. The thumbsticks will also feature a more gripped top.

Unless you’re a die-hard Halo fan, most of the games you love will probably be released on both consoles, as well as the consoles people are currently playing on. My hope is that they will continue to make games for the 360 until next year — assuming other gamers wait to upgrade as well.

I’m excited to get my hands on a new console — but I will have to wait a little while to do so.

Sophie Kruse is a sophomore studying journalism and a columnist for The Post. What console will you be choosing? Email her at sk139011@ohiou.edu.