Hollaback offers self-defense workshop

Catcalling and other forms of street harassment might have become a socially accepted norm of nightlife, but Hollaback refuses to accept that type of treatment.

On Wednesday, Hollaback will hold a self-defense workshop at United Campus Ministries to present the opportunity for women, LGBT people or anyone who believes they are at risk of being sexually assaulted to learn to protect themselves from street harassment and other dangerous situations.

Hollaback is a community organization determined to end street harassment. Although community-based, students are encouraged to join.

Devin Aeh, one of the Hollaback site leaders, will be leading the self-defense workshop.

She said she thinks we live in a culture that trivializes, ignores and, in some cases, condones street harassment; so having training in self-defense is vital.

“We can take care of ourselves,” Aeh said. “Self-defense classes save lives, period.”

Hollaback sees the perpetrators as people who use intimidation to frighten their victims.

There is a common belief that men are more powerful than women, however, Hollaback believes that by coming together, women have the ability to expose that power through social media and sharing incidents of harassment. They also understand that self-defense is more than just being able to throw a punch.

Aeh will talk about and demonstrate trusting intuition, verbal assertiveness, yelling and running, physical techniques and success stories. She promises that the workshop will be fun and low-pressure. Those who attend do not have to be in shape to participate.

“I teach from a feminist empowerment model, so it’s not just physical techniques, it’s about empowering women to know that they don’t need their dad or a boyfriend to protect them,” Aeh said.

hd550512@ohiou.edu

@han_nahdebs