Howard Dewald named new associate provost

Editor’s note: This is the third in a series profiling new staff in the Ohio University provost office.

At one point in his career, Howard Dewald utilized chaos theory — a complex mathematical principle in which a small change at the beginning of an event could drastically change the outcome.

You might claim his new job is just as unpredictable.

Dewald, Ohio University’s new associate provost for faculty and academic planning has spent nearly 30 years at OU, either working as a faculty member or leading them.

Now, his job is to act as the point person for faculty on a wide range of topics, committees, boards, programs, initiatives and organizations. He makes $150,800 annually.

“You might say it’s the catch-all,” said Dewald said, a previous chemistry professor who began working as associate dean in the College of Arts and Sciences in 2002.

“If it were the same day in and day out, it wouldn’t be nearly as exciting and challenging,” he said.

During the 2011-12 academic year, Dewald applied for dean of the college while he served as interim dean, though Robert Frank was ultimately chosen to fill the position.

Frank appointed Dewald to senior associate dean during the 2012-13 academic year when he applied for his current job after realizing the need in the office of Pam Benoit, executive vice president and provost, to be more efficient.

And if there is one thing Dewald prides himself on, it’s efficiency.

Numerous stacks of binders and folders filled with neatly kept papers fill the edges of his Cutler Hall office.

Several clocks, digital and analog, sit in various positions around the room, including one on Dewald’s desk his son brought back with him from Spain.

“I like clocks. … The mechanical nature of them and the way they work,” Dewald said. “It can be totally relaxing or totally annoying depending on what your mood is.”

Staying organized and level-headed in the midst of so many responsibilities is important, Dewald said.

Serving as the provost’s guru on many faculty matters, Dewald oversees university functions such as promotion and tenure, representing the provost at the state level, attending Faculty Senate meetings, student tuition appeal and working with college deans.

Though Benoit makes the final determination on many university matters, Dewald often holds meetings and conversations that lead to such decisions.

“Howard continually demonstrates his ability to collaborate and shepherd projects with quality outcomes to completion,” Benoit said, in a statement.

Faculty Senate Chair Elizabeth Sayrs said Dewald has repeatedly proven himself to be a reliable faculty advocate.

“He’s really responsive. He really understands the faculty issues and really understands the administrative issues,” Sayrs said. “I’ve found him very helpful.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold