LGBT Center offers free informational sessions at Southern campus

While more and more states are embracing marriage equality, many people are left unaware of the correct way to treat those with differing gender identities or sexual preferences other

than themselves.

The LGBT Center has been invited to Ohio University’s southern campus to lead two SafeZone training sessions. These sessions will focus on topics such as sensitive dialogue and open communication with LGBT people.

“What we will be doing on Wednesday looks at LGBT identities very basically,” said Delfin Bautista, director of the LGBT Center. “Through that conversation, we discuss what strategies we can do to support LGBT people within the wider world.”

These SafeZone sessions are a part of OU Southern’s LGBT Spirit Day, during which students and faculty honor those who have taken their lives due to homophobic abuse while providing a sense of community to those struggling with their gender identity or sexuality. Students and community members who attend are encouraged to wear purple to show support.

This event is not only for LGBT people — straight allies are encouraged to attend in order to understand more about LGBT culture.

“It's very important for straight allies to also be attending the SafeZones,” said Sarah Tucker Jenkins, program coordinator of the LGBT Center. “We stress the importance of using appropriate language, educating other people, and bystander intervention. It's just really basic information focused on building empathy and creating a safer community.”

Though this session consists of mainly basic information, the SafeZone program may delve into more controversial topics throughout the semester.

“We have developed supplemental safe zones in order to go deeper into certain questions for people who want a deeper understanding,” Bautista said.

The sessions will be led by Bautista, though student workers may assist in facilitating.

@jburroughs88

jb540612@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: SafeZone Training

When: 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday

Where: Ohio University Southern--Ironton, Ohio Room, Collins Building

Admission: Free