Ohio University close to naming new vice provost for Diversity and Inclusion

Ohio University has struggled to secure a permanent vice provost for Diversity and Inclusion over the past year and a half.

Now, the university is one step closer to filling the position after it named three finalists earlier this week.

The position is currently held by David Descutner on an interim basis. The permanent position, however, has been vacant since Brian Bridges left to work for the United Negro College Fund.

Bridges made $142,957 during the 2011-12 school year.

The candidates — Angeles Eames, special assistant to the provost at Northeastern Illinois University; Shari Clarke, vice president for Multicultural Affairs at Marshall University and John Bello-Ogunu, associate vice president and chief diversity officer at the College of Charleston, S.C.  — all have years of experience in diversity.

Eames has spent more than 20 years of her professional career working to improve diversity in a number of environments and from a variety of positions as a teacher, faculty member and academic affairs employee.

“It is all about students … and so what I want to do when I am there is explore ways to develop conversations and teaching and learning moments that will help students do well in the future,” Eames said. “It is not just creating an awareness of diversity … it is going to the next level in terms of the curriculum … both inside and outside of the classroom, that helps (students) to succeed.”

Clarke, who, like Eames, has more than 20 years of experience in diversity, was contacted about the position and credits the atmosphere at OU as her motivation for applying.

“What I liked about it is that Ohio University has made a visible, written and verbal commitment to diversity,” Clarke said. “I would like to be a part of the leadership to help carry out those plans and make those plans reality.”

Similar to the other candidates, Bello-Ogunu has multiple years of experience in a variety of administrative positions, including academic, student and multi-cultural affairs.

Bello-Oguno was unable to be reached for comment by press time.

The candidates will be in Athens to speak with university members and engage in a discussion between candidates and university personnel about their goals for the position.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock

If You Go:

What: An open forum with Angeles Eames

When: 2:30 p.m. Monday

Where: Baker Center Multipurpose Room Multicultural Center

Admission: Free

What: An open forum with Shari Clarke

When: 1:45 p.m. Wednesday

Admission: Free

What: An open forum with John Bello-Ogunu

When: 1 p.m. Friday

Admission: Free