Grace Nicklos (right) and Hayley Ross perform their piece titled, "While The Wind Whines Overhead" during a rehearsal on for a previous dance concert. The winter dance concert will be held Friday and Saturday this weekend. 

Outside the classroom, dance encourages student creativity

For the past five weeks, members of The Movement organization have been choreographing, rehearsing and rehearsing again in preparation for their annual dance concert.

The Movement organization will once again present the MOVE concert this Thursday and Friday at 7:30 in the Shirley Wimmer Theater in Putnam Hall.

Those involved in The Movement organization consist of undergrad students in the dance school and anybody who’s interested in learning more about dance.

“We’ve encouraged all dancers, even beginners and those interested in learning more about dance, to come to our meetings and events and try out what we love,” said Kaitlin Flynn, a junior studying dance and president of The Movement.

The members are given different opportunities to dance outside of the classroom and experiment with new styles.

“The club is a great way for the dancers to meet new people, and with MOVE people get the chance to dance who don’t usually get the opportunity to,” said Bethany Logan, a junior studying dance and vice president of The Movement.

At the beginning of each year, new and returning members are encouraged to create their own dance numbers within groups in hopes of getting to perform at the concert. Tryouts were held two weeks ago and eight groups were accepted into the performance. 

The organization, which is solely student-run, puts on the concert each year to give students the chance to express themselves and dance in their own way. Although there is no consistent theme or message portrayed through the dance numbers, the goal is to promote the freedom of dance for each individual.

Grace Nicklos, a sophomore studying dance, said The Movement provides so many opportunities for peer collaborations and performances. It’s a great way to share creative and organizational thoughts. 

The eight pieces to be performed vary in style between jazz, modern, contemporary and even a bit of humor. They are presented in groups of several sizes, including duets, trios and larger groups. Flynn and Logan have each choreographed their own group pieces and will also be performing a duet together.

“Come with an open mind and be ready to watch some talented people engage in an evening of awesome movement,” said Flynn.

@hannah_debs

hd550512@ohiou.edu