Provided

Popular Columbus band to play at Casa, perform tribute to Athens

One Columbus country group, Angela Perley & The Howlin’ Moons, is taking a page out of The Rolling Stones rock playbook by drawing on inspiration from the critically acclaimed album, Exile On Main St.

“Our record doesn’t sound like (Exile On Main St.) but it definitely was an inspiration by making it more raw…” said Angela Perley, frontwoman for the band. “We’re putting in simple layers but not going too crazy with the backup part. It’s pretty straight forward.”  

The band will play at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St., with its country/southern rock style alongside the opener, Hell And The High Water.

Perley said the group plans to release its new full-length album, Hey Kid, in January and will release the record’s single and its music video, “Hurricane,” in November.

The band gave an exclusive release of  “Hurricane” to 102.5, a Columbus alternative radio station, and has since become the No. 1 requested song and moved to the station’s regular rotation of songs.

Perley said the song is one of their heaviest rock songs yet but she still considers the band to be firmly rooted in country.

“We’re still confusing people because they say ‘I don’t like country but I like you guys,’” Perley said. “It’s roots rock … we’ll never get away from (country) but we’re more band-oriented now.”

Chris Connor, lead guitarist for the band, said most of the group’s song catalogue has been fine-tuned at live shows for almost a year now, as Perley is always coming up with new songs.

“The songs always evolve live,” Connor said. “I think we played 22 songs on the first (recording) session and just picked which ones were the best and most worked out — and she’s been writing even more since then.”

The group has a deep connection with Athens and Perley said she wrote a song about her experiences in the town in what is now one of her favorite songs off the new album — “Athens.”

“It’s a great tribute to Athens and I think people familiar with that area will enjoy listening to it because it’s really sentimental and she feels really strongly about Athens,” Connor said. “It’s a special show to go back to Athens and some of the songs that we play Angela wrote there and was inspired when she was going to school. It’s even one of the reasons we’re even playing today.”

@Wilbur_Hoffman

wh092010@ohiou.edu