Security for large events to increase

The Ohio University Police Department is not taking any chances after national incidents at the Boston Marathon and Washington Navy Yard.

Ohio University Police Chief Andrew Powers is increasing security at large-scale events as a measure of ensuring public safety.

For popular events at Peden Stadium and The Convo, among others, Powers said he has been stationing more officers and bomb-sniffing dogs.

“We’re doing our part to protect our community and keep our events as safe as we can,” Powers said, adding that OUPD improved its emergency communication system at the beginning of this football season.

Powers cited the April 15 bombings at the Boston Marathon as one of the reasons behind beefing-up security measures this year.

“Homeland security has evolved since 9/11, and OUPD’s processes for special events have evolved along with that,” he said.

For big events that require a larger security force, OUPD makes up for its shortage of manpower by

requesting help from the Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Athens Police Department.

Powers said the bomb squad at the Columbus Fire Department coordinates with departments in Ohio to supply the bomb-sniffing dogs until OUPD is able to get its own.

The dogs provided are primarily trained to detect explosives, but some have been cross-trained to detect drugs and serve other functions.

“We don’t know what dogs we’re going to get,” Powers said. “But as long as the dogs are capable of sniffing explosives, we’re not concerned about what else they can do.” 

Even though a majority of his officers will be deployed at those big events, Powers said he will have enough staff to keep watch of  the other areas around campus.

“That is our basic responsibility and obligation,” he said. “Our goal is to provide them the most secure environment we can with the least inconvenience.”

Andrew Merner, an OU freshman studying international business, said Powers’ comments are reassuring because he goes to OU’s home football games.

“I feel a lot more confident that dangerous acts are less likely to occur,” Merner said.

Ohio Athletics spokesman Tom Symonds said he was glad that OUPD has invested its efforts to increase campus security at big events.

“I think the heightened security level at Peden Stadium is good for the safety of our fans who wish to attend OU football games,” Symonds said.

jl951613@ohiou.edu

@Joshiemoshie7