Shops offer taste of fall

Debby Fulks returned to her local coffeehouse Wednesday with a few gallons of cider and less money in her pocket than usual.

“I went on a hunt for cider,” said Fulks, owner of Court Street Coffee. She added that after finally finding enough cider, she had to pay a ramped-up price because of the lack of other options in the area.

Fulks went to Aldi, Walmart and Kroger. She found one gallon of the apple beverage at Walmart, but ended up paying $5.99 per gallon at Kroger in order to have enough to satisfy her shop’s demand.     

Court Street Coffee began offering chaider, a mix of chai tea and cider, in mid-September, after it started promoting another fall favorite, pumpkin spice lattes, at the beginning of the month.

“We normally have it all year round, but it’s not something you think about in July,” Fulks said.

September began the rush to serve seasonal fall drinks at coffee shops and cafes throughout Athens. Starbucks began offering pumpkin spice lattes Sept. 3, and even McDonald’s threw its hat in the ring and began selling the seasonal beverage.

Chris Pyle, owner of Donkey Coffee & Espresso, said the coffee house was probably one of the first local businesses to start their fall offerings.

“People seem to freak out over it,” Pyle said.

Pyle also said the shop had moved the release date for the drinks up a week this year. The business offers pumpkin spice lattes and chaider, but also carries pumpkin spice chai, which can be a standalone drink or be mixed into the chaider.

Pyle said he’s had no issues with cider supply, and that it is normally sourced from Kroger or a local farm.

Brenen’s Coffee Café began offering cider-based drinks last week.  

“Somebody was asking about the cider the other day,” said Josh Thomas, owner of Brenen’s. “A lot of regular customers change and want to get a fall drink instead.”

Last year the business had a hiccup when its supplier, Gordon Food Service, ran out of cider. Thomas said they ordered a load from a local supplier, but it was a lot more expensive than what they would usually pay.     

“All of the suppliers say they have it this year,” Thomas said.

Brenen’s also sells pumpkin chai as well as a pumpkin cheesecake latte, a drink Thomas’s wife Jessica created.

Despite the buzz, Thomas said there’s a narrow window on marketing these drinks.

“In the fall especially, people are really focused on a certain drink,” Thomas said.

“But by Thanksgiving, nobody is talking about it. They start looking for something different.”

eb104010@ohiou.edu

@EmilyMBamforth