'The Office' comedian coming to MemAud

Comedian Craig Robinson will take the stage on Thursday as part of the Performing Arts Series fall lineup.

The 41-year-old comedian and actor is best known for his role as Darryl Philbin on The Office as well as his roles in Pineapple Express and, most recently, This is the End in which he played a satirical version of himself.

Comedy shows have been a big part of the Performing Arts Series, said Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center.

“We wanted a comedian as part of the OU Homecoming week,” Holzaepfel said. “We bring these types of artist(s) to campus because our students and community members often request them and they have large audiences.  Previous comedians have been very successful.”

Tickets for the show are $35 each for the first ten rows and $25 each for the remaining seats. However, students can receive $10 tickets by presenting an OU student ID at the MemAud ticket office.

Scott Macdonald, an OU freshman studying journalism, said he is very excited for the show.

“I'm looking forward to seeing a guy who I know is hilarious in movies do stand-up,” Macdonald said. “I expect a lot of laughs.”

Robinson's latest stop on his comedy tour was the Bahamas, where he was detained at the airport for drug possession while trying to return to the United States on Wednesday, according to the Associated Press.

The AP reports, "(He) was taken into custody and appeared before a magistrate, where he pleaded guilty to two counts of drug possession. Prosecutor Ercel Dorsett told the court that Robinson had a half gram of marijuana and 18 ecstasy pills...(Robinson) told the court he brought the drugs from the United States and did not know they were illegal in the Bahamas."

After paying a $1,000 fine Robinson was turned over to authorities who were directed by Magistrate Andrew Forbes to remove him from the country, according to the AP.

As of press time, this incident was not predicted to affect Robinson's visit to OU.

Prior to achieving national notoriety on The Office, Robinson, then an elementary school teacher, joined The Second City theater in Chicago, IL., where he was born and bred.

He recently starred as the romantic comedy lead in Peeples alongside Kerry Washington of ABC’s Scandal.

ed414911@ohiou.edu

@erindavoran