University Clery Report shows increase in crime

Just as they did in 2011, drug and liquor-related crimes rose on campus last year.

In addition, Ohio University saw an increase in crimes in virtually every category during the 2012 calendar year.

The OU Police Department’s 2012 Clery Report, released late Monday afternoon, shows an increase in burglaries, liquor arrests, drug arrests and sex offenses, including rape.

While drug and liquor arrests increased slightly, rape and burglary increased the most.

According to the report, which the university by law must release annually, there were 11 forcible rapes in 2012, almost triple the four recorded in 2011. There were also 42 burglaries in 2012, an increase from the 29 in 2011.

Liquor and drug violations are separated into two categories: one that includes arrests and another that represents the number of liquor and drug violations handled by a Residential Assistant. The latter offenses did not result in criminal charges.

There were 258 liquor-related arrests and 157 drug-related arrests in 2012, up from 232 and 145, respectively, in 2011.

There were 593 liquor-related violations in 2012 that resulted only in disciplinary action, down from 647 in 2011.

Drug violations for disciplinary action were down last year to 164 from 189 in 2011.

OUPD releases the annual report to display crime during the past three years at OU’s Athens campus and other extension branches.

The crimes are categorized into on-campus property, non-campus property and public property; however, the majority of crimes took place on campus.

az346610@ohiou.edu

@XanderZellner