Ohio sophomore forward Holly Harris battles for control of the ball against Central Michigan defender senior Estee Outcalt. Central Michigan defeated Ohio 2-1 on Sept. 29. (Isaac Hale | File Photo)

Women's Soccer: 'Cats finish strong in tough weekend

When it comes to the midway point in the Mid-American Conference season, it’s all about who can crank out results.

This weekend, the Ohio women’s soccer team was better at that than its opponents were. Despite being outshot and out-possessed, the Bobcats grinded out two gutty results against Akron and Buffalo, as they tied Akron 2-2 Friday after two overtimes, before then defeating Buffalo 1-0 Sunday.

“I was pleased with the way we were able to grind out some results,” said coach Aaron Rodgers. “I believe we showed a strong mentality of how to fight and get the result. I can’t say I was overly excited about how we were able to create a lot of chances and how we were able to possess the ball, but to go on the road and to get four points in conference is very difficult.”

These results were huge for the Bobcats, as coming into this weekend, the Zips and the Bulls were nipping at the Bobcats’ heels in the MAC.

After this weekend, the Bobcats sit at 6-4-4 (2-2-2 MAC), only a game behind Miami (6-6-2, 3-1-2 MAC) for second in the East Division standings.

Friday, Akron dictated most of the game’s play. Teams with that style of play have given Ohio trouble this season, and it proved to be the case against the Zips, as the Bobcats were outshot 24-9 in the game.

“We need to keep possession of the ball more for ourselves,” Rodgers said.

“That will limit the other team’s opportunities because they won’t have the ball to take shots. A number of the shots were from distance that doesn’t really put us under any pressure. We need to keep our shape a little bit more compact, so we have enough people to work off of and then to be able to keep the ball.”

Sunday against Buffalo, it was a similar story in terms of shots, as Ohio was again outshot 23-12. The Bobcats made the most of their chances as Liz Finley, a junior forward, scored from five yards out on a cross from Holly Harris, a sophomore forward.

This was the only goal of the game, as Ohio gutted out a much-needed win after playing the long, double overtime game at Akron two days earlier.

Senior goalkeeper Mattie Liston played a complete 90-minute game and didn’t allow any of Buffalo’s eight shot attempts to cross the goal line.  

“We played a long overtime game on Friday night,” he said. “To be able to respond and defend well and compete well today, it showed a lot of determination from the girls.”

After a two-week hiatus from Athens, the Bobcats will return home this weekend to play Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan.

AK840511@ohiou.edu

@Kovarandrew