Sophomore Aaron Alkema (left) and freshman Ryan Heltion split time playing goalie for the hockey team. They model their style of play after NHL goalies. (Isaac Hale | Staff Photographer)

Adept goalies learn from each other between the pipes

Oftentimes, the toughest task a team faces is finding a goalie who can carry the load and keep composed when games don’t go according to plan.

Fortunately for Ohio, the Bobcats have two such student-athletes.

Sophomore Aaron Alkema and freshman Ryan Heltion have shouldered the load this season and been instrumental in Ohio’s 12-4-1 start.

Noting the rare luxury of having a pair of equally skilled goalies, coach Jonathon Sheridan said he hasn’t been a part of a team, either as a player or coach, which has had a pair of potential everyday starters at its disposal.

“In college there was one guy pretty much the entire time,” Sheridan said. “In (junior hockey) the goalies got traded a lot. We kind of (had two) last year, but not to the extent of this year. It’s kind of exciting to know that you have two guys ready to go any day.”

A prime example of the situation sprung up before Ohio’s Nov. 1 game against Illinois. Alkema was set to start but was hit in the head during warm-ups, prompting trainers to decide it was time for him to hit the showers. Heltion was given notice of his start moments before the game.

“He gets that call to go in and within five minutes he’s playing and pitches a one-goal game,” Sheridan said. “You can’t ask for much more than that.”

The goalies feed off of each other in practices and often offer each other a helping hand between the pipes.

“We’re kind of helping each other out since we don’t have a goalie coach here,” said Alkema, a Grand Rapids, Mich., native. “In practice, it’s nice to have other guys there that you’re competing with. It makes you go that much harder.”

Each has had different playing experiences that they have been able to pass on to their teammates.

“I learned a lot more control—(Alkema) is a lot more in control then I am,” said Heltion, a native of Plum, Pa. “I’m usually quicker and around everywhere, but I’ve learned to relax and absorb shots like he does. Even out on the ice we’re trying to teach each other different ways to get to the puck or different ways of moving around the net.”

Alkema began playing hockey at the age of four, and Heltion, originally a defenseman, began playing when he was seven. He decided to make the switch to goalie because he thought the pads and equipment were cool.

“I picked it up and wound up being pretty good at it, so the rest is history,” Heltion said.

Both try to model their playing style after a particular NHL goalie. Alkema aims to emulate Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller, who he has had the opportunity to meet, and Heltion tries to take after Columbus Blue Jackets backstop Sergei Bobrovsky.

“He’s a small, quick guy so I like to play like that,” Heltion said. “He gives us little guys hope.”

This season, Sheridan said that Alkema has shown the most growth between the pipes.

“He was here for a little bit last year in the second half, and we could see the potential in him but he wasn’t reaching it,” Sheridan said. “And this year he didn’t get the starts right away. I think that bothered him, and he wanted to be the guy.”

Sheridan added that Heltion has been the team’s biggest surprise this season.

“I think in tryouts he wasn’t the guy we thought he was going to be,” Sheridan said. “He had a lot of potential but was probably a year away, so for him to come in right away and be successful is a good surprise for us.”

Alkema said to be successful splitting time in the crease, goalies have to be able to capitalize on any chance they get, knowing another viable option at ready on the bench.

“You might not be in there every night,” Alkema said. “So when you are you have to play your best.”

as299810@ohiou.edu

@akarl_smith